Monday, May 14, 2018

3 inspirational and indispensable artistic blogs


Among the best things on the internet, for me, without a doubt is the infinite amount of sources of inspiration and knowledge that we can find in all areas. In this article, I'm going to share three blogs I've recently discovered, from top -level artists who also share a lot of knowledge in their online spaces.
One of the biggest difficulties we face being artists, illustrators and creative professionals in general, is in the commercial part of the thing. I speak for myself, but also for the many cases I have followed closely. A very creative person is not always a good person in sales, self promotion or management of a business. And for our profession to work, we need all that part walking along with our creations.
I've been thinking about that, I've separated these three blogs to indicate here. In them, we can find reports of the experiences that these artists have passed, and we can learn a lot about project management, creative process and the market for artists in general .

 1. Wylie Beckert

Wylie Beckert is an American visual artist, who works with traditional mixed techniques, but also uses digital tools to arrive at the incredible images that are her illustrations.
The first video I saw of her was last year, and it was a video from the end of 2014 - Painting Process: Tam Lin .Very impressed with that painting, method and all the details involved, I accessed her blog to know more. On the blog, she detailed the entire painting process of that image , talking about traditional techniques that I had never seen anyone combine. Browsing the blog, I found a post about independent projects: The Art of Self-directed Project , which marked me a lot. I found it very inspiring and enlightening.
That's where I became aware of all the artist's projects. She was able to create a product with her artwork, and in addition, she managed and launched the project itself ! A deck illustrated with characters from a world imagined by her, in her delicate and detailed technique of traditional painting. In this project, it monetizes everything that is produced through Patreon (platform for artists to manage signatures of their contents, providing differentiated rewards according to the monthly value paid by "Bosses"), and there offers the opportunity for all people - both those who can spend many dollars and those who can only spend $ 5 a month - have access to their art in some way.
At the end of the project, she will have produced several tutorials and step-by-step her painting technique, can sell all the original illustrations, make prints available, and even have the illustrated deck to sell for a very affordable price . I'll leave the link here, for anyone interested in buying the first one, Wicked Kingdom .
Currently, Wylie Beckert works on her second illustrated deck, which will be double. The name of the project is Reign of Sin and Rule of Virtue - with its illustrations inspired by mortal sins and divine virtues . She publishes much of the progress of the project on social networks and on the blog, which already has very consistent articles available for free. To access the complete content, you only have to register for Patreon with values ​​starting at $ 5 per month.

2. Happy D. Artist

This is not a blog, but a vlog ! And it's even one of my all-YouTube favorites . I already knew the work of this artist, but it took me a while to discover her channel. And when I did, I watched practically all the videos in a few days. Firstly, she speaks in a very pleasant way and an English easy to understand for us who are not native English speakers. Afterwards, many of her videos bring important content about the artist profession , and she conveys this in a very positive and inspiring way.
Happy D. Artist is a North American visual artist. She works mainly with oil painting, in the fantasy theme, mixed with pop surrealism . She sells a lot of prints in her online store, but also sells originals and regularly exhibits in the United States. Happy D. also works with the Patreon system, and it is possible to have access to its contents starting at 1 dollar, which includes a "coloring challenge" that she makes every month and then publishes the favorites on the channel.
My favorite video is perhaps what she talks about how she decided to quit her job to be a full-time artist. But all the videos of professional content are very important for those who are in this life and still have doubts (I? Heh ), or thinking about starting to work with visual arts and illustration .
In addition, I also love the vlogs she does showing a little more of her private life, the groom and her pets. She's very charismatic , and very keen to meet her in person (I'm still going to a show in the USA) and I'm sure many - if not all - her fans think so.


No comments:

Post a Comment